Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Saturday to Remember.

I had a pretty brutal week last week, on a few levels. I went into the weekend feeling sad and maybe a little sorry for myself (I know, I know) but Saturday morning I drug myself out of bed early and headed to work an event that now has a special place in my heart and maybe even a permanent place on my calender - the No Limits Sports Day with Shriners Hospitals for Children.

I arrived a few minutes early and they put me right to work. Changed into my tee shirt and started carting drinks and organizing them like a jig saw puzzle into the fridge for the kids lunch later in the day. I then discovered my post for the day would be adaptive tennis. I introduced myself to the staff running that area and told them to put me to work and work I did. I chased thousands of tennis balls for hours and put them back in baskets to be fed to the kids.

For a girl in a funk, this clinic couldn't have come at a better time for me. I was trying to work through some hurt feelings and move on from a week that really kicked me while I was down. Those kids were so vibrant, so passionate about life, about sports, about their families. I watched their beautiful smiles as they returned those tennis balls over and over and cheered each other on and I couldn't help but be grateful to be there just to witness it.

It was a special day and a great reminder that sometimes when were going through a hard time the best way to overcome it is to serve others.

'For it is in giving that we receive' - St. Francis of Assisi

Love,
B

No comments: