Thursday, August 22, 2013

Ever After: Life Lessons Learned in my Castle of Chaos.



We all rolled our eyes as children as our parents told us life wasn’t fair, right?  But for many of us we didn’t realize just how unlike we imagined life could turn out until we were adults.  For me, this became abundantly clear after college.  For four years of high school we were working towards college because getting a college degree would secure our future and our jobs.  Right? Wrong.

While I was able to secure a job before graduation I watched as it took some of my closest friends nearly 5 years to get in their first professional jobs.  I watched them live at home and defer loans while waiting tables and saying, ‘I went to college for this?’  Well, this and a mountain of student loans and a facebook page full of memories – but yes.

Vicki Courtney’s book, ‘Ever After’ is a real, honest, and humorous look at real life.  She’s not afraid to tell it like it is and to show her own flaws while talking through the real phases we’ve all been through or are likely headed.  She offers great perspective as well as practical tips for surviving each phase of adult life.

One of my favorite chapters was when Vicki talked about weddings v. marriages.  If you’re in my age group, this will ring true for you as well.  Vicki writes, ‘Our culture has made an idol out of the wedding day and a mockery out of marriage’.  She goes on to point out that we have a website full of unrealistic wedding expectations by girls who don’t even have boyfriends yet – here’s looking at you, Pinterest.  And while there’s nothing wrong with big dreams of beautiful wedding dresses we miss the bigger point of the actual marriage!  The relationship you’re committing to for the rest of your life.

Vicki writes out of personal experience of unmet expectations as a woman, a wife and a Mom.  She relates to us but also challenges us to make the right things a priority.  I love her fresh perspective and biblical basis for her advice and counsel.   Most of all I love her wit as the wades through real life.

Who should read this book?  Anyone woman who's life hasn't turned out exactly how she imagined.  Not just married women, not just Moms, but all women who are dealing with unmet expectations about how your life has turned out and where it's headed.  You won't be disappointed and I promise you'll each take something away.

Love,
B

Disclaimer:  This book was donated to me for review.  This review however, is all me.  

1 comment:

Darby Hawley said...

Well I clearly need this book! So many things that are in my plan have definitely not been in God's plan!