Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Case for Alterations.

Mom, Ruth, and I used to be obsessed with the show ‘What Not To Wear’. Stacy London’s voice is a little like nails on a chalk board for me but I will say she usually has valid points! One of the lessons she’s always preaching is not to be afraid to use a tailor. Your clothes should fit YOU, I mean, that’s who you bought them for after all, right? Settling for ill fitting clothes not only doesn’t do your body any favors but it misses the chance to give you a real self-esteem boost.

I grew up spoiled rotten because my Mom is an incredible seamstress which I believe I’d shared before and being only 5’3 I’ve needed her skills for a lifetime of hemming. Absolutely everything is too long for me but I never seem to find petite clothes I like. And honestly, I don’t even like to think of myself as petite, just me. So a problem as created when I moved 17 hours away and it got a little harder to mooch my alterations from my Mama. I still take an extra suitcase with clothes for her to hem from time to time on my frequent fall trips to Indy for work and games but that left the need for someone in the spring when I don’t want to wait 6 months to wear my clothes.

The trick with things like a dermatologist or a tailor is knowing who to ask for a recommendation. Lucky for me, one of my best friends, Auburn, works in fashion so she’s a great reference for such things. I shot her an e-mail a while back seeking her alterations advice and she gave me the name of a tailor close to her work (which is a little ways from me) but she does a great job and she’s VERY reasonable. If you like in Tampa check them out: Express Alterations on Gunn Hwy. Just don’t keep her so busy she can’t find time to get my jeans done like the speed of light.

I see why London’s always harping on tailoring, it really does make a world of difference. My jeans literally look like they were made for me and for 10 bucks, you really can’t beat that, can you? Jeans to me are an investment. You know when you find a pair you love you’ll practically live in them. If you’re like me and you like to cheat the system a bit I have some thoughts for you as well. For all my cheapskates out there this tailoring thing can actually step up your bargain game. See, I now buy great brands of jeans when I find them on super clearance and then run to the tailor to have them made to look like the fit me (see my post earlier this week about Joe’s Jeans). Jeans aren’t the only thing this works well with. If you have a great tailor you can trust she can turn an ill-fitting but fabulous vintage dress into a one-of-a-kind-made-for-you vintage dress. Plus it seems to be most good dresses need a nip or tuck here and there to be just right for you.

Don’t be afraid to find a reasonable tailor and spend a few extra bucks to make your clothes work for you. Especially if you get them at a great deal (158 dollar jeans for 33 bucks plus 10 dollars of altering = success). Don’t go crazy and think you need to have your tee’s altered (or ironed!) but for great pieces you know you’ll wear again and again, it’s worth the trouble and the small price you pay.

Love,
B

2 comments:

Ashley said...

What Not To Wear is one of my favorites! I want Stacy & Clinton to come and dress me every day!

Becca Christensen said...

I love it too! I haven't been watching it for a while but after this blog entry I'm thinking maybe I should set my tivo to record a few episodes.