Friday, June 11, 2010

Stupid Girls?


In a flash of inspiration I bought 'How to be a Hepburn in a Hilton World' on Kindle yesterday. As I've admitted previously I enjoy the occasional 'reality' tv show, I like to shop, I have some shallow habits for lack of a better term. What I've recently become more aware of is just how out of control many girls my age have become.

You may remember when Pink released her video 'stupid girls' a year or two ago and opened fire on the girls who plague the front page of the gossip magazines at the grocery store. She took some digs at Paris, Jessica Simpson, the Olsens, Nicole Richie, etc. In general the attitude of the video can be summed up in the lyrical line: 'what happened to the dream of a girl president? She's dancing in a video next to 50 cent'. In a time period in which women have more opportunities than ever before, many reason that their time is better spent tanning, toning, and talking (while driving) - or so Pink seems to think.

The book title was catchy and I thought, why not? I would much rather be a Hepburn than a Hilton, at least when it comes to class. So after finishing book 21 of my 50 for this year, I started 22 this evening with Hepburn. In the first chapter I was struck by this quote from Hayden Pannetierre who thus far remains true to herself and has managed to keep unflattering rumors and photos from the tabloids...'My mother always says you are the books you read and the people you surround yourself with'.

There has to be some sort of balancing act that few have mastered but still exists. See for those of us who live as Christians we're called to embrace all people with Christ-like love, right? I mean Jesus dined with high-profile-sinners. However, they weren't his best friends and his name wasn't constantly tossed in with theirs. Reputation deserves more attention than many people give it. Maybe you are who you hangout with.

I haven't read enough to review the book, I'm only chapter in. I thought it appropriate to share with you that I'm on a search for what a 'lady' looks like in todays society. I'm doing a bible study in my home (starting next Thursday) called 'Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild' that I couldn't be more excited about. Doesn't that sum it up? I wish to be wise but I'm surround by the wild.

I leave you with these excerpts from chapter one of the Hepburn book ...

Through hard work and high standards, we can become class acts that outshine the cheap stars. We can turn in our tube tops and gum chomping for pinstripes and promotions. We can ditch the party hats and all-night benders for burgeoning careers and real friends. As we step up to the place, become more informed, and begin to influence those around us for the better.

I'm convinced that our new classy standards can raise the cultural bar...

- Jordan Christy

This should be interesting research....

Love,
B

3 comments:

Hepburn Hilton said...

Hm, I might want to get that book to! I liked the excerpt and the title is super clevcer! Let us know what you think!

Joy Muldoon said...

this sounds good! be sure to let me know what ya think! :)

Anonymous said...

I may have to pick up this book... I'd like to read it for research on my feminist perspective.. :-)