Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Maybe, Maybe Not.

My younger sister Ruth went through a weird phase.  I think maybe she was a fibber or my Dad thought she exaggerated too much.  So he put the fear of God into her literally about lying.  And for the next year or two after everything she said she would say 'maybe, maybe not' just to make sure that not matter what she said it couldn't be a lie.  It was incredibly annoying.

I realized this week as I'm reading The Circle Maker, I do that in my prayers sometimes.  The book talked this week about how sometimes we add a 'if it's your will' at the end of our prayers because we don't really think the Lord going to answer them and we want to leave Him an out.  But I was reminded this morning that God is bigger than our biggest problem, our biggest dream, and his grace is bigger than our biggest sins.  And what a reminder that is.  If we can really grasp that, wouldn't we pray differently?

The coolest thing I've taken from the book so far is that one couple that Mark Batterson writes about would write notes to the Lord with their biggest, craziest, hardest prayers and post them on the fridge.  I LOVE that.  I love the idea of being bold, of putting it in writing, and of not being ashamed for the people who come into your home to know that you're praying big.

And so, I got out my colorful post it's and I wrote my biggest requests.  For some of you.  For my family members.  For my friends. And for my own life.  I dated them today and I put them on my fridge.  I'm praying big, I'm praying bold, and I'm praying with the expectation that my God is bigger that every request.  I'm not adding any maybe, maybe not's at the end of my prayers. And when he answers them I'm going to take them down, add another date and give them to the person whose request it is as a reminder that our God is way bigger than the box we put him in.

Love,
B

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That is an incredibly powerful movement. It's one thing to think prayers, offer them silently in my head but it's a whole other matter entirely to actual put it in writing. It makes things so much more real and tangible.

Wow. Digging out some colored paper right now. I think I'll post mine on the little window in my studio window. Praying for my business is a serious matter.

Katie said...

Wow-- that's exactly what I needed to hear today. I pray that way all the time. But you're so right-- God wants to give us bigger and better things than we could even imagine, so why not pray bigger than we do?? Thanks for sharing!!

Joey Hodges said...

This is, hands down, the best post I've ever read. You rock, Bec. I'm honored to call you friend. Love you.

Unknown said...

GRAND post, Becca. GRAND! When I read the book, this hit me between my faith-challenged-eyes, too.

Jessica said...

I just love you! You're truly an inspiration. I'm so blessed to have you in my life!!!

Kari said...

I love this post! I think I really needed to read this today, and realize that I need to commit more to my dreams, my prayers and my goals. Putting them in writing is a great way to do just that. Thank you! :)