Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Am I insane?

Albert Einstein once said that insanity is defined by doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. When you process that, aren't we all just a little bit insane? We hope for change but we do not change the behaviors necessary to acquire such results.

That was the whole mentality behind my signing myself up for a finance class. I've always wanted to be financially responsible, on top of my money, and in control of my spending habits. I would catch myself saying that I wish 'I spent less money on unimportant things' or ' saved more' but without a plan, I never actually did. I was continuing to do the same thing, waiting on different results.

Isn't this true in many aspects of our lives? You've seen me rant before on this blog about people who forget to take responsibility for the use of their time. Each of us have 24 hours in a day, what we do with them is our choice. We fail to do that which we 'want' to do because we continue our behavior expecting different results.

Relationships are another prime example of this. In recent years I had to come to grips with the idea that if I wanted to be closer to my family members or a better friend to those in my life - something had to change. I started setting aside times in the day based on my family members schedules, that would be good to call them. Last year I started what I hope will be a long-standing 'tradition' of flying to see my sister Rae. Just setting aside some PTO and money to go and be a part of her life.

Sometimes I wish it WERE possible that we could continue in our ways (such as ignoring my giant pile of laundry that needs attention) and then one day it would just do itself. Wouldn't that be lovely? But no, bare down friends. Remember the timeless words of one, Winston Churchhill who said, ' There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction'.

Love,
B

2 comments:

Helen said...

This is such a great post! you're very right, we have to stop waiting for things to change and change them ourselves. Otherwise all we'll learn is that some things are very consistent!

NA said...

Great post! There are so many aspects of my life that I would like to change. My relationship with my older sister is one of them, but I have no idea how to change it...it's a long crazy situation that I won't rehash here, but something has to change. I guess I need to be the bigger person & take a step in the right direction...