Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Season.



There is a time for everything, 
and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die, 
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal, 
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh, 
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, 
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up, 
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend, 
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate, 
a time for war and a time for peace.
Ecclesiastes 3, the Bible

This passage has always held a special place in my heart.  Perhaps not for the reasons you would most expect.  The part that touches me in a way I feel is unique is the use of the word 'season'.  God's promise that for everything there is a 'season' has to me always felt personal.  

As a child I measured everything in football seasons.  I am after-all, the daughter of a coach.  My fellow coaches kids, players wives, coaches wives, or players kids will related to this.  When I was in the 5th grade we moved to Tampa.  I remember being asked 'how long was your Dad at Clemson?' and saying '2 seasons'.  This response was met with a bit of a puzzled expression.  Where I come from we don't understand years, we only understand football seasons.  Later I would say that I lived in Tampa for 6 football seasons.  And so on.

In some ways my life was defined in football seasons for the first 22 years.  So in my childlike faith of years past I found this passage and I thought, 'hey, God thinks in football seasons too'.  It brings a smile to my face to think now.  Honestly, I bet he does.  When he thinks of me and my family and of the families of football households like ours - I bet he does understand exactly what seasons are like.  Though, for us I guess the verses would be a bit more like...

A time to win and a time to lose
A time for victory and a time of defeat
A time to pack and a time to move
A time to come and a time to go
A time filled with boxes and a time filled with loneliness
A time filled with challenges and a time filled with hope
A time filled with bad articles and much criticism
A time to be on top of the world
A time to have beer spilled on you and a time to deck the patriots fan behind you
...

You get the idea. : ]

I guess what I want to convey in tonight's blog is that I love the fact that I serve a personal God.  A God that has been there while I cried in the stands after hearing my Dad called bad names.  A God who rejoiced with me as I cried on the field after our first Super Bowl win.  A God who's heart broke for me through countless moves and left behind friends.  A God who cheered me on through victories and held me through defeats.  For everything there is a season, and not one have I faced alone.

I'm 17 hours away from the football chaos now.  But my life continues to be filled with seasons.  From job changes, to housing decisions, to new and old friendships, to relationships with boys (no, I won't blog about these!).  Life is a constant journey. Life is always in transition.  Seasons are still coming and going with regularity.  This year has brought a new season in my baby sister being in college!  This has brought a new dimension to what being a good big sister looks like.  This year has brought a new season in my relationship with my older sister as she's exited school (finally - DR. Breslin!) and entered the full-time work force.  It has brought a new season in my time as a daughter - being 17 hours away and living on my own but loving every bit of love and advice that's coming my way.

Hey, speaking of seasons - I'm loving this season of being undefeated.  I know better than most that you can't win em all but 11-0 sure feels good.

Here's to seasons of all sorts.

Love,
B



3 comments:

NA said...

Love this post girl! We all go through seasons & it's good to remember that God carries us through each other, whether it's a good season or a bad season. I definitely needed a reminder of that!

Pat said...

You blog is almost as cute as you Miss Bec!
much love,
p

Tami Kent said...

You have a way of writing that is vulnerable and funny all at the same time & I love it! A week or so ago, a former student commented that she thought my favorite word would be 'seasons' & she is right. Even though we serve a God who says "I do not change", we as His children are constantly being changed, and every season of our life - good, bad, or otherwise - has an eternal purpose!