Friday, April 29, 2011

Water for Elephants.

In 2009 I read Water for Elephants with my book club which I've since had to take a long break from with my schedule just being too much to allow me to make the monthly meetings. First I had bible study on the same night. Then I moved it but I took on a little extra work for those nights. And later I just realized that fighting traffic for an hour up to the side of town it meets just wasn't working for me...so book club continues without me but for the time I was there this was one of my favorite reads. I was totally in love with the book.

That of course made me a little nervous about seeing the movie, since we all know the movies are never as good as the books. That held true for this one, although my love for Reese Witherspoon really gave it a fight chance of nearing my love for the book. However, I did really enjoy the movie. I hit it up with Lindsay and Zach on Wednesday night after a grueling workout (lucky for you all, you didn't have to smell me the whole movie).

I will say that similar to my feelings on Country Strong, the movie was dark. It didn't have a feel good, happy ending vibe. At all. The book brought you full circle and was able to take you from the tough, sad part into a happier time before tieing it up with a neat bow at the end, the movie failed to do the same.

It wasn't the best flick of the year but I enjoyed it and would watch it again (but not pay another 10 dollars to see it in theatres a second time).

Love,
B

1 comment:

Lindsay Barta said...

Christoph Waltz was the best part of this movie, in my opinion. I still find myself remembering him in certain scenes days later.