Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Home in Progress.



I am a finisher. I hate to start a project that has to be 'in progress', I always want to finish right away. This is most likely made worse by the fact that I keep a notebook of checklists, and I love to check things off. So projects that take time to complete are a stretch for me. But when you're on a budget and you're trying to be responsible to spend what your categories allow, this is just how it has to be.


I'm currently saving up to have my entire pad painted (the inside, not the outside). Since moving in I've really wanted to have this done and I believe it will improve the look of the place drastically. I'm going to keep it neutral for resale purposes, but I just want all the dinks and scratches gone and quality paint so I can wipe off things along the way. I found the painter I want to use and I got the quote back in December but there were a few things that needed to be done first, so this got put on the back burner.


However, after some hard work scrimping and savings (as well as a few ebay'd Coach bags) - I have scheduled the painter to start May 1st. It will be a 2 week process. Between now and then I have to pick paint, pay for that, and have it ready. But that should be the fun part - making the money while delaying gratification is not as fun.


I have become the nerdy homeowner who will return a great top to spend the money on guest bedroom towels. Yes, that's me. But honestly, the more I grow into my role as a homeowner the more I love every moment of it.


My projects after the paint? Actually decorate my walls. I have literally hung almost no photos, so I've bought some cool artwork, 2 funky clocks, etc. and I'm ready to hammer them in as soon as the paint dries.


I've acquired a free queen sized bed from my bestie and will be on the hunt for a fun headboard to go with over the next few weeks (the bed will be in the garage til the end of April so I have some time). But thanks to her, this project of furnishing another bedroom has gotten much cheaper. I feel grateful! (also to my sweet guy friend who is allowing me to bribe him with dinner to pick up said bed in his truck).


I've started a Pinterest inspired project for a wall upstairs between the two bedrooms which will involved 7 framed prints of the states I've lived in thus far. I think this project may be my favorite - it's going to be a tribute to my childhood. I want my home to be classy and beautiful, but also a reflection of who lives there - me.


My biggest project yet to pay for and schedule is having my counter tops in both bathrooms replaced. They are currently the normal white of most bathrooms but I'm hoping that switching them out to granite will be a worthwhile investment in the future of my home. I've found a granite wholesaler here in Tampa that I hope will be able to do this for me in the near future when that fund hits the mark.


Whew, well I think those are the changes coming soonest. But don't worry, my mind is always swimming with new ideas. I will keep you all posted as things come together but I wanted to share for now that my home has officially become a home in progress. Many little, life-changing fixer-ups to come.


Love,

B






5 comments:

Meghan said...

I cannot wait to see how all of your projects turn out!

Amber said...

I can't wait to see pics! I so wish I had a house I could decorate, I feel so limited in an apartment.

Darby Hawley said...

This is all so exciting Becca! I am so glad to be on the ride and watch you transform your home!

Cori H. said...

I can't wait to have a home to decorate! Can't wait to see pics of the transformation! I love the Pinterest idea of the tribute to your childhood. I hope it turns out amazing! Hope you're having a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you've got some great plans for your place. You'll have to share pictures once all the decorating is done!