- Ayn Rand
I set 12 goals for the year 2012. I achieved much in 2011, but my goals list was not one of them. And so, I hope to be more focused with this years goal list and to report back with more frequency. Accountability is key for me. What you have to realize about goals is the importance of achieve, not competing. I have a competitive spirit I frequently have to stuff down.
I have to remind myself that the purpose of setting reading goals is to expand my mind, avoid the TV, and keep illiteracy at bay. Not, however, to beat anyone else by reading a greater number books or deeper, longer, more classical books, for that matter. The point is to meet my own goals and standards and not to compare myself to others. This same principle applies to each of my goals. I admit, though, that I often struggle with this.
That disclaimer being said, let's talk about my goals and where I'm at as January draws near it's end...
1. Well, I've read 7 books so far in 2012. Being just under 4 weeks into the year, I'd say this makes my goal of 50 look attainable. More than that, I find that my love of reading is growing in leaps and bounds. I'm thankful for the blog community where I have found so many other diligent readers to relate too. I don't really know how to use it well but if you're on Goodreads feel free to add me!
2. Leave the US for the first time. Well, you can expect another Haiti update soon - much is happening in my prep to meeting goal #2. But you can count on April being the month I tackle this one officially....
3. Take Washington DC by storm. I can happily report that my plane ticket has been book for my trip to DC in May...so this goal is also in the works.
4. Skydive, even if indoors. Hm, not progress on this yet. Although, I have been watching the groupons.
5. Lose another 20 pounds. I changed this goal to add 'by Haiti' in early January and after 2 weeks I'm over 6 pounds down. So I'm hopeful that I will lose 20 and possibly more before I depart on April 21st.
6. The dates are set for me to finally see my sweet cousin, Whitley, play ball this year. You can anxiously await pictures and a full report in March.
7. Shower my niece with love letters. This is going well. I've made her the most precious Valentines Day card I've been making myself wait to send...
8. Slow but steady progress towards my unspoken goal #8.
9. Crap. I haven't written anymore pages for my book. Boo.
10. Visit one new state. Maybe I should take suggestions on which state it should be?
11. Get back into photography, for pleasure. I'm hoping Haiti will give me some inspiration for this.
12. Write, I have! Here, often, honestly...and even for my own personal benefit to possibly be shared at a later date. I've also been writing letters and e-mails to several of you who have reached out for help or advice. I enjoy the chance to be thought out, as writing allows me.
Thanks for cheering me on...I'm so pleased with 2012 so far. I'm sad to see a month of it come to an end next week. I'm cherishing every moment.