Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Review: Vanishing Act.

I 'met' Liz Johnson while she was working for the WaterBrook Multnomah 'Blogging for Books' program. She was my main contact and we e-mailed once or twice a month as she invited me to review books and I either confirmed or denied my desire to be involved in that particular book tour.

I was sad when she e-mailed to say she was moving on from the program but rejoiced with her when I later received an invite to review her second novel, Vanishing Act. As a future writer hopeful myself, I couldn't be more excited for Liz to be continuing a career as a writer and since I hadn't read any of her writing other than e-mails yet, I was thrilled to be chosen as one of the 40 bloggers to receive a signed review copy of her book.

I finished Vanishing Acts tonight, my 38th book of 2010! Liz's genre is one I've never read before, which is cleverly referred to as 'love inspired suspense'. Catchy.

The story of Danielle and Nate has a few of my favorite things. Love. Suspense. Drama. And even a little crime! Wonderfully written so that it captivated me without leaving me sleepless. There are twists and turns as the mystery unfolds, that kept my eyes moving quickly as I sought the happy ending. A sucker for a love story and of course a 'happily ever after' I was glad to see that there were rays of light in Vanishing Act.

Suspense is not a genre you often see taken on in Christian fiction but I was pleased to see Liz take it on with such grace. An easy read that packed a punch of a message about our fears and God's ability to handle anything for us, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It didn't read as though it were preaching, but regardless I took away a challenge to deal with fears within my own life and spiritual walk.

I hope to see more literature from Liz soon and certainly wish her the best. A talented writer with a great heart. I know God has big things in store for her and I look forward to reading more from her in the future. I hope this review has sparked your interest and that you'll show Liz your support by reading Vanishing Act as well.

Love,
B


No comments: