Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Time management.

If you're a reader than inevitably you hear people say regularly, 'Oh, I wish I could read but I just never have the time'.  The truth is that there are 24 hours in all of our days, how we use them is up to us.  If you find yourself saying that you wish you had the time for an activity, hobby, sport, or educational experience - well, then perhaps you should reevaluate how you could.  

An equally popular comment is that 'people have time for what the value'.  Isn't this true?  You may think you're too busy to read or workout but somehow you manage to eat 5 times a day.  Hmm.  You don't have time to cook or clean but amazingly you spend an hour and a half per day doing your hair and makeup.  None of these things are bad.  I just feel it's important to call a spade a spade.  What I don't do, is a result of a lack of priority in my life.

Many of us have commitment issues.  We'd love to take a class, join a group, maybe volunteer?  But EVERY week seems so daunting and permanent; we shrink back in fear.  Giving in the to the 'what if' game we convince ourselves that we can't possibly commit to one more thing!  Is this starting to hit home for you?  This is the land I've lived in friends...do not feel alone.

I recently stepped down from a commitment that interfered with my new work schedule.  With traveling for work now, Friday nights weren't feasible for me.  Work does trump other commitments to an extend in that at this point in my life I both need to work and love to work.  I'm fortunate to be in a place that I'm excited to be a part of.  However, that doesn't take away from the fact that I was disappointed at having to let go of another commitment.

Almost within the same stride I took on a new undertaking.  For those of you who kept up with my entries last week, you know that I started the Dave Ramsey course at my church.  Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University includes a several month long commitment, in my case on Thursday nights.  This gave me Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday evening commitments on top of work 5 days a week, traveling a weekend or 2 per month, and church Sundays.  That felt a little overwhelming in my head as I tried to work through whether or not to take the course.

Being financially responsible and more importantly free needed to be a priority in my life.  At 24 years old I'm in a place that many people twice my age would do nearly anything to be in - debt free.  Not being naive enough to believe that I can remain so without a plan, I knew that I needed to make time in my crazy life and schedule to learn.  Learn about saving, budgeting, investing, etc.  So, I signed on and commitment both to myself and my classmates to be there every week I possibly can.

When you make a commitment it's important to stick with it!  Too often we realize something is 'a good idea' but we can't quite be committed to following through.  Am I right?  To gain from the experience we have to really BE there.  In mind, body, and spirit.  Otherwise, we might as well stay home and watch TV.

There's not any one perfect schedule you can map out for your life that will keep you perfectly balanced.  However, it is important to evaluate your commitments from time-to-time to see if your getting the results you want in life.  This includes me.  Some of my commitments to date are book club, small group, financial peace university, work, church, book reviewing, and an accountability partner.  Now, one area I'm still struggling with is working out.  I value the health (and mental stability) benefits of getting my walk/jog in at least in theory...BUT I tend to make time excuses where this is concerned.  I already get up at 6am...5am just seems daunting.  I don't get home til 9pm some nights and by then I'm tired (and a little scared to wander off alone).  So, knowing like I do that we all have the same amount of hours in a day...how am I going to squeeze it in or what needs to give?  That is the question.

You make time for what you want to do.  So perhaps the questions you need to ask yourself are: does what I want right now lead to the future I want later?  What do I say I want to do but don't make time for?  What needs to give in my schedule?  What do I need to move up on the priority list? And if you anything like me...where do I start?

Baby steps. : ]

Love,
B

1 comment:

Shop Girl* said...

You are my hero. I don't know how you do so much without feeling completely overwhelmed! :)