Sunday, March 28, 2010

These are the Days of our Lives.



My first two weeks living in my condo, my dream condo that is, I had no furniture. Just me and an air-mattress which at the time was in the living room, waiting for the 3rd floor (with the bedrooms) to be re-carpeted. I was living out of a suitcase, picking up a new outfit or 2 every couple days at my rental. One of my showers wasn't getting hot water and for whatever reason that was the one I was using. The cold one.

My first night my Dad called me as he's gotten in the habit of doing to ask me 'how's the condo doing' (almost 4 months later he's STILL asking this a couple times a week) and I explained I was finally going to spend my first night in my first home. My Dad remind me that this was a once in a lifetime experience and he said, 'these are the times you'll always remember, it doesn't get any better than this Bekes'. He was more excited for me than I was for myself.

What he said stuck with me through the first couple months here. A few weeks later Dad and his Colts were in the AFC Championship game and Jess and I felt it was only right that we watch it here, christen my new place into the Colts family so to speak. However, at this point I was still living with only an air-mattress and a kitchen full of cookware my Mom bought me for Christmas. Ain't no party like an air-mattress party? Jess, Jen, and I lounged in a Colts themed air bed, eating off my lovely new kitchenware. By the way my Mom deemed having people over to lay on my air-mattress totally creepy.

What I've learned is that I love firsts. The first person to the stay the night. My parents first visit. Building my table (my first furniture) - thanks P! Watching the movers lug my 1000 pound dresser up my two flights of stairs (first night in a bed). First meal - Jen & I eating pizza on the floor. First Colts win - AFC Champions! First party. First game night. Finally, the first hot shower!

The condo's come a long way since my closing in late December. I have it almost fully furnished, for starters. Many people have come and gone, leaving behind memories that hold a special place in my heart. I love having somewhere to welcome them into, for a meal, a night, or a spring break. Without a single picture in this house, I could tell you a hundred stories already. More than filling the house with fun decor and funky furniture ( like my velvet couch), I have filled it with lasting memories.

I will never be 24 again. I will never again be a first time home buyer. I will never be this young, single, and free. I will never again paint my first wall (magenta) or cook my first meal (Sante Fe Soup, I believe). Thankfully, I will never take my first fall down the stairs (almost healed now). Or put my first dent in the wall (gr - it keeps staring at me).

It's not just about the new place. I've been in Tampa almost two years and they have been the best 2 years of my life. First 'big girl job', oh and the second too. First time away from all my family (wah). Firsts firsts, firsts - you get it I'm sure. I'm feeling sentimental and gushy about life tonight.

Life is short, but sweet for certain. And these are most definitely the days of our lives.




1 comment:

tara said...

So here's the deal, Beccs:

1. I think now that we have been bff's for about a week, it's the perfect time for me to start calling you by a nickname: Beccs!

2. I need to tell you that the fact that you are such a good writer and your bloggys are always motivational, inspirational, and thought-provoking kinda makes me feel insecure as a blogger.

3. I'm going to need you to tone down the awesomeness so I don't have to keep crying myself to sleep every night!

<3