Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Reading List.

Lucky for me Amazon had an ebook sale at just the right time. I'm prepping to leave town early tomorrow morning for 10 days of Christmas vacation. I of course plan to dominate a few books while I'm on there. I'm pretty much a weeny when it comes to the cold so I expect I will spend plenty of time indoors reading and drinking homemade hot chocolate. I thought for all of my crazy little reader friends you might want to know what I'll be working on.


I'm currently reading this book which came highly recommended on a newsletter from my library (which is also where I got this book):






From Amazon: John Ajvide Lindqvist has taken the horror world by storm. His first novel, Let the Right One In, has been made into critically acclaimed films in both Sweden and in the U.S (as Let Me In). His second novel, Handling the Undead, is beloved by horror lovers everywhere. Now, with Harbor, a stunning and chilling masterpiece, Lindqvist firmly cements his place as the heir apparent to Stephen King.



One ordinary winter afternoon on a snowy island, Anders and Cecilia take their six-year-old daughter Maja across the ice to visit the lighthouse in the middle of the frozen channel. While they are exploring the lighthouse, Maja disappears – either into thin air or under thin ice -- leaving not even a footprint in the snow.



Two years later, Anders, a broken man, moves back to his family’s abandoned home on the island. He soon realizes that Maja's disappearance is only one of many strange occurrences, and that his fellow islanders, including his own grandmother, know a lot more than they’re telling. As he digs deeper, Anders begins to unearth a dark and deadly secret at the heart of this small, seemingly placid town.

I'm only 50 pages in but I wouldn't describe this book as 'horror' at all. Suspense, yes but not horror. Although I imagine losing a child for any reason is horrific. So far I'm impressed with how well written the book is and the imagery the author is capable of.



On Kindle I bought:




(this is in prep for my trip there in April - I wanted to learn more about the history of the country and their culture there)



I also still have the 2nd and 3rd Hunger Games books downloaded to finish as well. After that, well, I've got a list if I get through all of these in time to tackle more. Whew. Let's hope I get plenty of reading time.



Any of you planning on getting some reading done this holiday season? What's in your book pile?



Love,



B

No comments: