Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Haiti Update #1 - December.





Give my your eyes for just one second



Give my your eyes so I can see



Everything that I keep missing



Give me your love for humanity



Give me your arms for the broken hearted



Ones that are far beyond my reach



Give me your heart for the ones forgotten



Give me your eyes so I can see



- Brandon Heath







The ball is rolling, friends!


I turned in my application and my first $300 on December the 11th, and hit the ground running towards preparation. On the 12th I scheduled a doctor's appointment to talk about malaria meds & the complications that my ibs may cause with international travel (for January), found out where I'm supposed to go for vaccinations, and requested the prayers of some of my faithful warriors.


On December the 13th I applied for my first passport! I spent the night before tracking down all the info I needed and gathering my proof of identity. The post office in Tampa that does passports is actually less than a mile from my work so I set out to knock that out on a Tuesday over lunch.






This is my copy of what will now be my passport photo!


The wait wasn't bad at all and the two gentleman working were cranking them out. I was in and out in just over half an hour which was a huge answer to prayer since everyone told me it would be a lengthy experience. I managed to do a few days worth of Sonic surveys (for free drinks) and play a little words with friends and before I knew it - it was my turn!


The hardest part has been that to get moving towards the trip I had to fork out quite a bit of cash from the get go - for my deposit and then $180 for a passport. Ouch. But I believe the Lord will provide every cent I need to make this trip a reality. My travel fund took a hit but I'm excited that my family has agreed to make my Christmas presents contributions and several of my friends have asked if they can pitch in!


I have my first mission meeting the Sunday after I return from Christmas in Indiana - so I'll know more then about my supply needs, vaccine needs, etc.


The first person I called to tell about the trip is my friend, Rafael, who spent some time in Haiti and who's excitement for the country and the people after that trip inspired me and I think pitched into my desire to go there, specificially. We finally caught up over this past weekend (he's on West Coast time, which makes it harder). I have to say, that boy inspires me with his hunger for knowledge and his desire to truly help people. I can't wait to tell him all that I see and learn while I'm away.


My sweet friend Jess has agreed to host a yardsale for me in February to help me raise money for the trip - so I'm grateful to her for her support and the donation of her time and driveway!


Until I update again - please keep praying for my trip. April will be here before I know it!


Love, B

2 comments:

Neely said...

You are awesome Becca!

Unknown said...

This is awesome! Can't wait to hear/see more!