Saturday, December 26, 2009

Resolutions? To do or not to do.

Readers, how do you feel about New Years Resolutions? I've always avoided them, feeling they're cliche. Why choose 1 days per year to make a plan for your life? I keep lists and journals year round of things I want to accomplish, get done, plan for, or dream about. I think a running 'bucket list' is an essential part of living a fulfilled life. It is far to easy to float through life leaving to many 'should haves' undone.

But whether or not you chose Jan. 1st as your day to determine...here are a few interesting responses from Real Simple Magazine's question, 'what will you do differently this year?'...

- Buy a house with a garden that I can dig in. - Christina of Rapid City, South Dakota
- Some friends and I challenged one another to do 101 things in 1001 days, so I will try things I've shied away from in the past. - Ariel Harris of West Liberty, Ohio
- Smile more. Pray more. Complain less. - Theresa Horan of Atlantic Highlands, New Jersy
-Send handwritten letters - Carla Rincones of Del Rio, Texas
- I will use the computer less and spend time in the real world. - Karen Amatangelo-Block of Bethesda, Maryland

I love these answers. Who of us does not need to spend more time in the real world and less in front of our computers? Is there anyone who doesn't need to complain less? Smile more? Pray more? What about writing hand written letters to the people we care about or try new things? And the first one, I tell myself often the importance of getting your hands dirty in life. Each of these peoples responses touched me.

Some others I enjoyed were one gal who speaks of being a big planner and list maker. If I haven't shared with you all yes I color code my planner! I'm completely OCD (self diagnosed of course) about being organized. She writes, 'This year I will focus on the present'.

These women have inspired me to do 2 things. First, to post an entry each day until the new year with one of their goals for doing 2010 differently than 2009. Second, to consider (and possibly share with you) some goals for making 2010 even better than 2009, which for me was my best year yet.

Consider with me, will you?

Love,
B

1 comment:

Ebony Jewel said...

Hmmmm....New Years Resolutions...I really have to think about these things this year. I made some mistakes in 2009 & I now need to right those wrongs. I just have to figure out the best way to turn things around.