Friday, February 24, 2012

Getting a System.

If you follow me on pinterest you may have noticed I have an OCD/Organization board. I love love love to try out new ways to keep my life in order so I make sure I live each day to the fullest. I promised myself that 2012 would be the year of no excuses - that I would stick to my budget, I would travel, I would keep my house clean, I would drop more weight, I would workout, be healthy, and sleep enough.


I was pretty half hearted about my pinteresting at first but when I realized how many great organization and cleaning ideas can be gained there, I basically fell in love! I'm literally constantly adding to my 'to organize' list (next up: my cleaning supplies closet and under my kitchen sink).

I pinned the weekly cleaning calender pictured below because I realized that for my house to stay clean, I really need to be doing a little bit every day. Right now with averaging 55 hours a week of work plus bible study, workouts, friends, reading, blogging, cooking, etc I just don't have a huge chunk of time to devote to scouring the whole house AND I don't want it to look like a bomb went off the rest of the week. I also HATE rushing around trying to get it clean enough for company at the last minute. And so I present to you the new plan:


Found here.

Now, we all know I hate to do anything alone. I have Mia to keep me accountable to my morning workouts (at least 2-3 days a week I workout in the AM). I have Jess and Kayla to report my weight loss to every week. I have my small group to keep me accountable to reading my bible, praying, and finishing my homework before our Monday night meetings. You get the idea, there's safety in numbers! And so, I was thrilled with 3 of my sweet twitter friends: Mia, Joey, and Emmy agreed to try this new everyday cleaning with me ( I linked to their blogs so you can follow them, they're awesome).

So how's it going? Well, first off, I should say I think this chore list was made for a family of 5 - laundry 3 days a week seems excessive to me - at least for one! I also don't vacuum three days a week - since I don't have pets, children, or a messy husband to clean up after. BUT otherwise, I've been really pleased with this list! Tuesday morning I felt great at work all day because I'd windexed my bathroom counters and mirrors after my morning workout and before I left for the office!

I love staying on top of the dishes AND keeping the counters clean! It makes the kitchen so much less overwelming. Though I should admit here I pretty much put everything in the dishwasher.

I've nixed mowing since I don't have a yard but I do love that it makes me sort my mail on Fridays. Gr, I hate when mail piles up and feels overwelming (oh wait, that's always). I added a few things of my own: like trash on Mondays and Fridays, cleaning out my car on Sundays (so I don't drive around looking like I live in it), and changing the sheets (I admit, I'm surprised that didn't make the list...).

It's been fun keeping up on twitter with how the other girls are doing with their daily chore list. I think it's safe to say we all agree, we feel great about having a clean house! It's also fun to brag, celebrate, or whine to each other along the way.

How do you keep your house clean? Do you do a little cleaning every day or have one day a week you do it all?

Love,
B

11 comments:

Mia Maree said...

yay! Since I've had Becca in my life, I'm skinny and organized :-) haha! I actually really like the other list you pinned, the one that reminds me to pick up one thing before leaving the room or do not leave a room empty handed! GREAT reminder!!

Lauren said...

I love this idea, need to pin it! I usually keep the kitchen pretty clean, i hate dirty dishes stacking up :-/

Joey Hodges said...

I love doing this with you! And it's so nice and way less overwhelming that the house is always in good shape. And I don't feel like I'm spending loads of time on it. Just a bit here and there, it really makes a huge difference! Yay for safety in numbers!

Lane said...

Great list. I try to clean each day of the week I do bathrooms one day, vacuuming another, etc, but I think I need to print this out and keep in on my bulletin board. It would definitely help keep me accountable.

Nichole @ casadecrews.com said...

I feel like I get all the "big" stuff done on Sundays and smaller things done throughout the week. But I like that list!

Darby Hawley said...

I'm very impressed! You are so driven!

Jessica said...

I'm totally taking this!!! The Hubs is going to flip (he's crazy OCD about cleaning and I'm so not like that).

And why am I not following you on Pinterest???

Emily said...

Living our list! My house looks so much better!!! Also, I'll check in on weight loss too... My WW days are Tuesday! :)

Unknown said...

I really like the idea of a cleaning schedule! I'm still in an apartment so I just take a few hours on either Saturday or Sunday afternoons to do all the cleaning. I've been trying to be better about picking up my room a little bit each night though to keep things from piling up.

SEL said...

I mentioned on twitter about a month ago that I made my own cleaning/organization lists and I'd blog it. Aaaand I just realized I never did. I guess I can add that to the to-do list!

Established: 2008 said...

I LOVE that list and I think I need it. I always clean my entire house in one fell swoop on Saturdays but it ends up taking me the entire day. The idea of breaking it up over the week is a great one!