Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Haiti Recap - Part Two.

It has been a bittersweet return to the states for me.  After THE most incredible trip of  my life to date (and you know I've been on many) I was amazed that on Saturday I thought, 'I'd stay another week if I could'.  When you consider that we were without power for 2+ days, taking cold showers every day, and unable to flush our toilets for about half of the trip - this is big.

I thought and thought while I was away about how to put all that I learned, experienced, and thought during this trip into words for you all.  How could I possibly hope to give you even a glimpse of what this week was like for me?

Saturday was a day of travel and getting to know the people we would spend the next week with.  I went on this trip having met only 2 people people prior to our missions meeting.  I met most of the team during meetings but after a few drop outs and a few last minute additions, it is safe to say the Lord hand picked this team and it was incredible.  We may have gone as a team of strangers but we came back closer than a year in America could have made us.





Sunday we worshiped in the existing church building with the congregation we would begin building a church for the next day...




Just before we walked in, I was asked to give a testimony.  Many of you have seen me say before that I am a great many things, a public speaker not among them.  As I hesitated the Lord brought this scripture to mind: 'Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect' - 1 Peter 3:15

Alright then.  A few minutes later I was sharing with my Haitian brothers and sisters in Christ about how I came to have a personal relationship with the Lord and a tidbit of what the Lord has been teaching me at my home church, in my women's bible study group.  I shared on these verses from Romans 12:

9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality. 

This portion of Romans 12 is called 'Love in Action'.  Isn't that the heart behind missions?

Sunday afternoon we went to 2 of 3 orphanages run by a pastor we were working with.  This was a highlight of the trip for me...





The pastor told us that it costs about one US dollar per child to feed them a meal.  So they could eat three meals a day if they had $3 per kid per day...which they don't always have.  I of course thought of myself and my daily sonic drink runs...talk about perspective.  I didn't go to Haiti to feel bad about what I have, and I don't.  But I'm humbled to realize that even when I feel like I'm 'struggling to get by', I have no idea what it means to go without.

My life was changed but maybe not in the ways you think.  I didn't leave the week feeling sorry for people who don't live like we do here, in America.  My heart did break a few times, especially at the orphanage but not for the 'things' these kids don't have (the list of which is long) but for the lack of love they experience.  These children were beautiful and they couldn't get enough hugs and attention from us.  We literally walked the orphanages with a kid on each hip and there were more waiting their turn.

I've confessed a time or two that I'm not a 'kid person' but I would have brought a dozen back with me if I could have. Most of these children will not be adopted.  They will live together in these orphanaged until 18-20 when the church people will try to set them up as best they can for success in Haitian society.

It was above all a humbling experience.  It's easy to forget how blessed we are amongst our day to day problems but we have so much to be grateful for.  I'm thankful that my niece doesn't have to miss a meal.  That she's never without arms ready to hold her.  She won't have to sleep in a bed without sheets.  She will never be raised amongst 62 other children by one person.

This trip renewed my love for adoption.  I've shared many a times that adoption is close to my heart as my own Dad was adopted at birth.  I believe that we as believers are called to take care of the orphans.  This brought that point home to me like never before.  I hope one day I will be able to take in a few orphans myself.  It's the ultimate visual of God adopting us, isn't it?

Monday started are work week and I can't wait to tell/show you what THAT was like ( I think you'll all be fascinated by my role)... you can anxiously await that later this week.

Love,
B

6 comments:

Established: 2008 said...

I love the book of Romans. It is always such a great wake up call. It sounds like your trip was amazing!

Kenj said...

Even though I didn't go, I feel like I am learning through you. It is such a wonderful feeling. I would love to take a mission trip.

Darby Hawley said...

I am loving your recaps so far!

Ashley said...

My goodness Becca, I have tears from reading these recaps! I am so proud of you for taking this trip and a little bit jealous that I didn't get to go too :)

Amber said...

I am SO proud of you. I'm sure you're an amazing public speaker anyway, so no need to be nervous ;) And how cute are those little Haitian babies with you?! LOVE!

Unknown said...

I have written down these verses - both great! I'm proud of you for giving your testimony!

A few weeks ago, our church sent a team to Haiti. When they returned, I knew that I would go on the next trip. I hope and pray that Michael and I are able to go together.

Our church has been several times and they are actually working on an orphanage. I'd probably want to come home with a few, too!

Another great recap - I'm loving this!