Thursday, May 3, 2012

Operation Smile.

Since returning from Haiti I've been introduced to an organization called Operation Smile.  Operation Smile provides surgeries to children all the world in need of cleft lip, cleft palate, and other facial reconstructive surgeries.  More than ever after experiencing life in a third world country I recognize the need for medical missions.

From Operation Smile's website: On a typical international medical mission, 300-500 children receive full medical evaluations and 100-150 children are surgically treated. We also use the opportunity to train in-country medical professionals, based on the needs of their health care workers or the facility where the mission takes place.

Being fresh off the mission field myself I'm especially touched by their desire to train in-country medical professionals.  For most of us, our impact ends when we return home and go back to our day to day lives.  But when we take the opportunity to train leaders who will be there after we're gone, we have the chance to have a profound, long-lasting affect. 

Please take the time to visit their website, read the patient stories on their blog, and donate if you're able. Another way you can support them is through utilizing a great budget-friendly resource: Campus Book Rentals.  They're partnered up and donating over 1,000 cleft palate surgeries this year through Operation Smile.  Campus Book Rentals allows you to rent your text books instead of buying them.  I wish I'd known about this when I was in school, as I haven't reused used one single textbook since I graduated, this would have been perfect for me.

If you're still in school or headed back to school this is a great way to save money (and shelf space) while also partnering with a company that's purposing to do good worldwide.  I did a little research and I found a Sociology book (my major) on their site.  I could have rented this book for $17.35 instead of buying it for $95!  What's not to love about that?

Make sure you check out Operation Smile and for all my student readers, check out Campus Book Rentals for all your textbook needs!  They've agreed to give readers of blog a 5% discount you can take advantage of by using supersaver at checkout!

Love,
Becca

1 comment:

Neely said...

amazing cause!