Saturday, March 26, 2011

Yum.

  • Ok we're going to talk about food today. My friend Auburn hosted a dinner party courtesy of Philadelphia's new cook creme on Tuesday night. I'd been seeing commercials so when I got her invite I was pumped to try it out. Not to mention Aubs is probably the best cook I know. I'm always excited to eat anything she makes, let's be honest. BUT on top of that my favorite part about products using bloggers to throw parties is free stuff (duh).

    Auburn made two delish recipes from the recipe booklets that Philadelphia gave each of us. I of course felt inspired and have decided I'm going to cook a few myself. But for now, I'm going to cook the one Auburn cooked for us because Publix, our best grocery store here in Tampa had almost all the ingredients I needed to cook it on BOGO (buy one, get one). Ta da! Thrifty cooking.

    I thought I'd share the recipes she made last night with you all here so that if you'd like a new cooking experiment this week you can try them as well. There are lots of coupons circulating for the cooking creme as well, so keep an eye on those deals if you're also trying to cook on a budget.

    First up, Life-altering Nachos or as Philly called them Santa fe Nachos

    Prep: 5 min Total: 13 min Makes: 8 Servings

    What You'll Need:
    - 1 can (15 oz) chili without beans
    - 1 tub (10 oz) Philadelphia Santa Fe Blend Cooking Creme
    - 4 Cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    - 1 pkg (16 oz) tortilla chips
    - 1 can (15 ox) black beans, rinsed
    - 1 jar (8 oz) salsa

    Make It:
    Cook: chili in small saucepan on med heat 5 to 6 min. or until heated through, stirring frequently.

    Mix: cooking creme and shredded cheese in med microwave safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 2 min or until cheese is completely melted, stirring every 30 sec.

    Spread: chips onto large platter; top with layers of beans, chili, salsa, and cheese mixture.

    Our small group dove into these bad boys. Seriously, make them. You will thank me.

The main course from last night which I also wanted to share with you (and that I will be making next week) is Southwest Pasta Skillet:

Prep: 10 min Total: 22 min Makes: 4 servings

What You Need:

  • - 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
  • - 1/2 cup chopped green peppers
  • - 1 can (14.5 oz) no salt added diced tomatoes, drained
  • - 1 pkg (10 oz) frozen corn
  • - 1 tub Philadelphia Santa fe Blend cooking creme
  • - 2 cups hot cooked rotini pasta
  • - 1 cup Kraft shredded monterey jack cheese, divided

Make It:

Cook: and stir chicken and peppers in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat 6 to 7 min or until chicken is done. Add tomatoes, corn, and cooking creme; cook and sitr 3 min

Add: pasta and 1/2 cip shredded cheese; cook and stir 1 to 2 min or until cheese is melted

Top with remaining shredded cheese. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand until cheese is melted.

Honestly, I've only recently taken an interest in cooking. For years I figured why cook if you can eat out? Then I finally came to my senses about just how much money I was spending with this mentality as well as how unhealthy most of what you get at restaurants really is. So, then I realized that cooking can be fun, especially if you include other people.

So, I hope you all enjoy these new recipes. Happy cooking.

Love,

B

2 comments:

Neely said...

Sounds yummy :)

Unknown said...

Both of these sound delicious! :)