Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Comfortable.

She thinks I can't see the smile that she's fakin'
and poses for pictures that aren't being taken
I loved you
grey sweat pants, no makeup, so perfect

Our love was, comfortable and
so broken in
she's perfect, so flawless
I'm not impressed, I want you back.

- John Mayer, Comfortable

You may have thought that the John Mayer song this blog is fondly titled after was my favorite but that would be false. My all time favorite John Mayer song is from his first EP, 'Inside Wants Out'. I find it to be a bit sad, like the love that got away story line we cry over in books. No one wants to see love fail.

I think my love for John Mayer started with this song because I've always wanted that comfortable kind of love. I don't care about being beautiful, as long as I'm beautiful to the one person who's opinion matters. I don't care about charming a whole room full of people, I want to be the one person in the crowd that person sees. I don't want to be all dressed up to impress him - I want to be the girl he thinks is perfect in grey sweatpants and no makeup.

The sad element of this song is that he had the kind of love I want but he's not with her anymore. He's dating some other girl who's perfect. Who his friends love. And he's looking at this amazing girl and wishing he was back with the one he loves, flaws and all. What could be sadder than that?

This is one of those songs I play for myself when I take a drive over the bridge to sift through my thoughts.

Love,
B

1 comment:

Lindsay Barta said...

This is one of my favorite John Mayer songs of all time. I'd use it to describe Z and I and that's just how I like it (minus the not being together anymore part!)