Friday, December 17, 2010

So Long Perfection.

Today's prompt was what or who did you let go of this year. I've shared before that one of my biggest struggles in my faith and in my life has always been my desire to please people. I have a somewhat irrational fear or letting people see my flaws because I hate the idea of disappointing people I care about (and even those I don't really care about, honestly).

This year on several occasions I was able to really let go of this image of perfection that I've fought so hard to maintain for years. I've been able to be open and honest with you all and with people in my life. I've been able to forgive myself for not being able to be perfect and accept that thanks to my faith, I don't have to be. I don't have to please people, and my energy and focus should be on pleasing my Savior.

This is not to say I don't continue to strive towards being the best me I can be. Along the way though, I've let my guard down and allowed people to love the real me, imperfections and all. What's encouraged me most about this is, you do! They do! I've felt an outpouring of love from my readers, friends, facebook stalkers, etc this year as I've let my hair down with you all you've really encouraged me to keep at it. I've intrusted you all with my struggles and I haven't regretted it for a moment.

Thank you,
B

No comments: