Friday, July 8, 2011

Book Club Friday - Hunger Games.



I'm loving book club Friday lately, especially since finally I'm reading enough to write about a new book every week. I started this year off a bit slow but I'm really getting in the groove. Which brings me to my current reading:



The Hunger Games came highly recommended from Lindsay and Kristen two fabulous young ladies in my small group (both with equally fabulous blogs as well). Lindsay devoured the whole trilogy while on a trip to Prague and Kristen and her roommate, Meagan, couldn't put them down either. So, they talked me into finally removing the first of the series off my bookshelf and giving it a go.


I have to say that my reaction to this book is similar to my reaction to the Twilight series. After all the hype, I wanted to know what the fuss was about and started reading for myself. I would describe it as 'entertaining', though I admit it doesn't have that can't-put-this-book-down-even-to-eat feel for me that it seems to for others. I will likely read the other 2 books eventually but plan to take a break to finish the Michael Bennett series first (I finally got the fourth one from the library).

Worth reading for summer entertainment but not necessarily on my 'everyone should read this' list.


Anyone else read this and have similar or totally opposite feelings about it?


Love,


B







7 comments:

Lindsay Barta said...

I can agree that the hype is similar to Twilight and with being a young adult novel, the comparison makes sense. I do believe, however, that the big differences lie with the quality of writing (namely that Stephanie Meyer isn't a very good writer at all) and the statement that Suzanne Collins is making with the novels. Her ability to show the affects of war on those coming-of-age was really moving to me. I think you get more of that in the next two books.

Wiz said...

I have heard both opinions - can't put it down vs. it was good but not great. I still want to check it out because of all the hype! Thanks for the review!

Heather said...

I may be the only person on the face of earth that hasn't read this yet! haha

Thanks for linking up!

Unknown said...

I have heard only great things about these books. Maybe once I read some of my other books, I'll give these a shot!

Unknown said...

Oh bummer! I read the first one (after basically being forced by a friend) and ended up reading the whole series in one weekend. I did NOT like the Twilight books (to be fair, I only read the first) and found Collins had me hooked after a few chapters (not the case for Twilight...even a little).

I'm a little scared to see the movie adaptation though. Lenny Kravitz? Puh-lease.

Carrie said...

i liked the hunger games series much much more that i liked the twilight series. twilight i wasn't in a rush to finish the series but the hunger games left me dying to find out what happened next.

KayCee said...

The Hunger Games > Twilight. That is all.
(PS - I enjoyed reading the second one the most, though some may argue that the first is the best and I may not disagree. But definitely a must read when you have time)