Sunday, February 20, 2011

Quote of the Week Get's a Makeover.

I've been sharing quotes from time to time on the blog over the last two years. I want to bring back the quote of the week but with a twist, now I'm going to blog about it too. I'm not just going to give you someone else's words but my thoughts on them, which should give you an idea why I chose them. Hopefully this will be good for my writing but will also be of greater interest to you. And for those of you who recently told me you 'steal' my quote, I love that. Clearly, I stole them too.

Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.
Ralph Waldo Emerson


I talked a lot about fear on the blog when I was reading, 'In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day'. Fear is paralyzing in our lives. It holds us back not only from God's will (for Christians) but from reaching our full potential. If you're always afraid of failure you will never really succeed. If you're always afraid to take a chance, you will never fully experience life.

There's perhaps one thing I would argue defeats more people than fear, and that's sin. But I think they're linked. I think often times we get stuck in patterns of sin, doing the wrong thing, but our fear or being judged keeps us from getting the help we need to break free. Our fear of giving up our lives to our faith also keeps us from experiencing the fullness of life God intended because we want to store just a ltitle of our treasure on earth, too.

I love Ralph Waldo Emerson. He was so articulate, so wise. He professed to be a believer though his beliefs were, interesting to say the least. But I find that I'm drawn to his quotes again and again.

Love,
B

No comments: