Sunday, February 27, 2011

Love the Ones You're With.

I read a book last year called 'Love the One You're With' (Emily Giffin). I wasn't a huge fan of the book to be honest but that phrase came back to be over Valentines when my friend Auburn posted a quote that said 'If you can't be with the one you love, love the ones you're with'. It popped back into my head today as I was thinking about friendships.

I was discussing with a coworker of mine the value of good friendships. As I've talked about on the blog before I went through a really dry season in the friendship department. One in which I wasn't really sure who would be there for me if I really needed it. That was tough, especially for someone like me who's so relational.

My coworker asked me in response, 'well what changed from then to now'? Great question. Actually, how did I never consider this for myself until this conversation?

Well for starters, I started praying for God to bring the right friends into my life. My dry season of friendships came during my dry season in my relationship with the Lord which played a HUGE part. But as I started to work towards a lot of changes in my life, friendship was one thing I knew I really had to get right.

Secondly, when God came through big and brought the right people either into my life or back into my life through my return to Tampa, I purposed to be a good friend. I know it's cliche but what people say about it takes a being a good friend to have one, is somewhat true. I admit that you can be a great friend to someone and they still may be a sucky one to you, in which case, they're probably not the answer. BUT for the most part, relationships are an investment of your time and efforts but the return is pretty incredible.

I have learned a great deal about what being a good friend looks like from the people the Lord's brought to me who have loved me like I can't put into words. I still ask them from time to time what I ever did to deserve them. Truth is, they must not realize just how fabulous they are or they might leave me in the dust. ; ]

But this year for me is about loving the ones you're with. Making time for the people that are important to me. Going out of my way to make my friends feel special, cared for, treasured. Going the 'extra mile' if you will. Hopefully at the end of this year they'll be able to testify that I did a good job of that.

Don't take your friends for granted - good friends are hard to come by and they're more precious than gold.

Love,
B

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I truly believe that God brings people into our lives for a reason - and that timing is really everything! Love this post!